From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clamav and spamassassin
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 22:22:12
1 On 12/06/2011 04:34 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > Do you know how smtps comes into play? Right now I've got the
4 > following uncommented in master.cf:
5 >
6 > smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
7 > smtps inet n - n - - smtpd
8 > -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
9 >
10 > Should I write an smtpsd line or does tlsproxy make that unnecessary?
11
12 SMTPS is deprecated. You probably don't need it at all, unless you do.
13 Some older (Microsoft...) clients can't use anything else for encryption.
14
15 These days, the "proper" way to secure your users' connections is with
16 TLS on the submission port, 587. You should also have a commented-out
17 'submission' line in your master.cf; that's what it's for.
18
19 The idea is that you can force encryption on port 587, and have your
20 users connect there instead of port 25. Then, the only restriction you
21 need for those connections is that the username/password be correct. The
22 rest of the mail comes in on port 25, unencrypted, as usual, and is
23 subjected to your anti-spam checks.
24
25 If you're using either SMTPS or the submission service, you don't need
26 to change them. Your users will continue to connect to port 465 (smtps)
27 or 587 (submission), bypassing postscreen entirely.
28
29 If you're not using the submission service, i.e. both external and
30 user-submitted mail come in on port 25, then you'll probably want to
31 exempt your users from the postscreen restrictions:
32
33 http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#postscreen_access_list
34
35 but you should really be using the submission port!