From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stream Audio to RasPi on LAN
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:18:18
1 On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 06:18:42PM +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 >> Am 29.04.2013 17:26, schrieb Randy Westlund:
4 >> > Hey guys,
5 >> >
6 >> > I have a nice set of speakers, but they aren't near my desk in my home office. I used to carry them back and forth when I wanted good music, but that was a pain. I currently have a RasPi running arch connected to the speakers -- I've been cat-ing audio files over ssh to mplayer, and that mostly works (no fast-forward/skip). I also tried using reverse-ssh and sshfs to mount my files on the RasPi, but that seems silly.
7 >> >
8 >> > What I really want is to be able to stream audio from my browser to the RasPi's speakers (pandora, grooveshark). I'd like to set up an audio device that maps to the RasPi. Something like /dev/dsp1, perhaps. If I could have some audio sent to the RasPi and leave mcabber's chat notifications on my laptop's speakers, that'd be fantastic.
9 >> >
10 >> > Does anyone have a setup like this? Know of any good options?
11 >> >
12 >> > Randy
13 >> >
14 >> I don't know what desktop env you are running, but would PulseAudio be
15 >> an option? You could send the audio from your program (browser) to the
16 >> Pi but keep the chat notification on your local machine.
19 > I switch between xfce and xmonad (from startx). My only experience with pulseaudio is "the weird audio thing that keeps messing up ubuntu" from two years ago when I had just gotten off windows. After taking a second look, it looks promising. Thanks.
20 >
21 > Randy
24 I was going to suggest pulseaudio just from the title of the thread.
25 It's just for audio so you don't have to muck around with everything
26 else (but OpenElec is a great option if you want a media center). The
27 only thing I can think of is you might want to adjust the
28 "resample-method" in daemon.conf if you find it's using too much CPU.
31 Alecks Gates