From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Disable memory
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:15:43
1 On Sunday 13 November 2005 23:57, Peper wrote:
2 > > LOL. Could it be bad you think?? If you have two sticks of ram, swap
3 > > them around and see if it fails somewhere else then. If it does, bad
4 > > ram, if not, memtest has a bug.
5 > > I'm not sure how to make it not test it all though. I have also never
6 > > had it lock up. I have tested some really old rigs as well as some new
7 > > ones.
8 >
9 > I think you have misunedstood me. My memory is bad for sure, beacause my PC
10 > freezes between-whiles. Memtest does the same during test 5(block move)
11 > when egamining 1st MB of it(you can set which part of memory you want to
12 > check). And my questions is, how can i disable this first MB from being
13 > used by system? I was thinking of setting ramfs in this 1st MB and then not
14 > using it, but is it possible?
17 no
18
19 You could switch the ram sticks if you have several and disable everything
20 above a certain size, but when the error is in the first mb, you could also
21 just throw it away.
22
23 Ram is cheap at the moment, get new one or RMA the old.
24
25 Since memtest does not find a lot of errors, there is a big chance, that even
26 more of the ram is defective, you should spare you the trouble.
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list