From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 12:59:16
1 The 30/05/12, Grant wrote:
2
3 > So if I see a way that their coding could be improved (faster
4 > execution, greater legibility, etc) I just keep quiet about it?
5
6 Improvements is only one aspect of where to focus the efforts.
7
8 > How often should I read their code? I was planning on reading it a lot.
9
10 In small teams, these tasks (including making releases) are usually done
11 by the software maintainer. To know what to do, you should be clear
12 about who will be in charge of releasing the software. A SVC is
13 *required* and the tool choice should be a team choice.
14
15 Once done and roles assigned, it will be really easy for you to know
16 what you can/should do or not. Anybody can act/interact as different
17 role as long as the role is well defined (e.g. while reviewing code, you
18 do reviewing code /only/ and might discuss the design choices but the
19 final technical decision must stay in the hands of the software
20 maintainer).
21
22 FMPOV the key role is the maintainer. The job requires both good
23 technical knowlegde and a large project view.
26 Nicolas Sebrecht