From: Michael Pobega <pobega@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Microphone help
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:24:41
Hello gentoo-user.

I bought a Creative NX Pro 2 webcam a few years back, and got it working
with no problems in Gentoo using the gspcav1 drivers from Portage. Now,
when I plug in the microphone (Which isn't a USB, but a regular
microphone) nothing happens. I can't hear it through my speakers no
matter how high I make the sound and I'm not sure if there are any
drivers I need to load before it will work.

Running `cat /proc/asound/cards` doesn't do much...It _should_ show my
device, but in actuality shows:

> ackbar linux # cat /proc/asound/cards > 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel > HDA Intel at 0xfeb38000 irq 16
So at the moment I'm pretty sure my microphone isn't being detected at all. Perhaps there is a kernel driver I missed (looked through two times) or something I need to emerge? If this driver is unusable in Gentoo, can someone recommend me a (relatively cheap) replacement? Because I'd like to be able to use it as soon as possible. Thank you. -- If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they restrict the use of these programs. - Richard Stallman