From: Anthony Metcalf <nevyn@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo x86 to AMD64
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 08:58:56
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 22 August 2008 17:48:32 Anthony Metcalf wrote:
3 >
4 >> What about re-building every single package, and re-installing it isn't a
5 >> complete -reinstall?
6 >>
7 >> I can understand that this wouldn't work without the re-boot to live cd
8 >> step, as you would end up with incompatible libraries/binaries, and with a
9 >> 32bit kernel trying to run 64bit apps and crap.....but this should avoid
10 >> all that, with minimal downtime.....
13 > Looks easy right?
14 >
15 > So, what tool chain on this 32 bit machine are you going to use to build the
16 > 64 bit binaries you actually want to output?
17 >
18 > You know you are going to do heaps of setup actions, build a new tool chain
19 > then essentially do emerge -e world.
20 >
21 > Much easier to just copy stuff off a 64-bit stage3 then do emerge -e world.
24 Easier, probably, but I am bothered about downtime on this machine too,
25 it doesn't do anything vital, but it is a mail server..From other
27 accepting that it is running on a 64bit CPU......
28
29 Thanks for all the rsponses!