From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] data recovery advice needed
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:33:55
1 On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 17:49:37 GMT Jack wrote:
2 > On 2018.12.18 12:42, Mick wrote:
3 > [snip...]
4 >
5 > > So, I used losetup with --offset on the failing drive itself over USB
6 > > 2.0 and was able to mount and recover all the NTFS files.
7 >
8 > I definitely need to read up on that one - I totally unfamiliar with it.
9
10 If you are not able to mount a partition because of a 'device not found ...'
11 type of error use c/f/gdisk et al. to find the sector at which the partition
12 in question starts. Let's say gdisk shows partition 6 starts at sector
13 1,615,872 and the sector size is 512 bytes. The starting offset for losetup
14 should be:
15
16 1,615,872 x 512 = 827,326,464
17
18 Similarly, let's say the size of the partition is shown as being 1,910,121,163
19 sectors, which gives a size of 977,982,035,456 in bytes:
20
21 1,910,121,163 x 512 = 977,982,035,456
24 Then add the above parameters in the losetup command to create a loopback
25 device as follows:
26
27 losetup -o 827326464 --sizelimit 977982035456 --sector-size 512 -P -r -v /dev/
28 loop4 /dev/sdb
29
30 and subsequently try to mount it:
31
32 mkdir /mnt/recovery
33
34 mount /dev/loop4 /mnt/recovery
37 > > Over the years I've used clonezilla, ddrescue, testdisk, photorec and
38 > > losetup to recover files. On a couple of times where data on the
39 > > disk had been overwritten by subsequent operations, I was not able to
40 > > recover the affected files. So, if when moving the partition data
41 > > was overwritten I suspect it will be very difficult to recover this
42 > > with conventional software tools. However, it doesn't hurt to try.
43 > >
44 > > :-)
45 >
46 > I should be in good shape there. The partition's new location should
47 > have the first half intact, and since the overwriting was of the first
48 > part of the old location, it's second half should be intact. The files
49 > should all be there - but I imagine I might have to play with any
50 > directories which were successfully move, but not the stuff they point
51 > to. Of course, all of this depends on recovering from the read errors
52 > - so ddrescue needs to finish first.
53
54 This is what I would try:
55
56 1. dd the previously moved first half to a new partition/device.
57
58 2. dd the intact second half from the corresponding second half offset
59 position of the overwritten partition to the new partition/device. Use --seek
60 and --skip in the dd command as appropriate to achieve this.
61
62 This way you should be able to stitch together the two halves, hoping that no
63 bits/bytes were lost when the move/overwritting occurred back then. If the
64 original filesystem is not recoverable you should be able to recover
65 individual files with photorec.
68 Regards,
69 Mick