From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 01:50:23
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 8:47 PM Victor Ivanov <vic.m.ivanov@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 06/06/2020 21:12, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> Maybe we're miscommunicating, but it seems like you're moving the
5 >>> goalposts here.
6 >>> ...
7 >>> Your original point was, "The problem here is that a leaked header
8 >>> immediately means a compromised volume."
9 >> I believe we're on the same page and it's indeed due to miscommunication
10 >> and I suspect this is where the main point of miscommunication lies.
11 >> You're taking my statement out of context. No doubt, I most certainly
12 >> could have phrased this part better and made it clearer. It may not have
13 >> been obvious but that sentence was aimed specifically in the context
14 >> where a weak password is used or, especially, when a password has been
15 >> compromised and how being able to change said password might have little
16 >> effect. In which case the point still stands - when a password is
17 >> compromised, there is a possibility that changing said password may not
18 >> necessarily be the end of the matter as the (old) header may or may not
19 >> have been leaked too either as part of the same or a previous attack -
20 >> not necessarily involving physical access.
21 > I think we're on the same page and just talking past each other. I
22 > didn't catch that as being the intended context, and in the scenario
23 > you describe you are of course completely correct.
24 >
25 > Thanks for bringing this point up though, as it isn't really something
26 > I'd given much thought to.
30 My take.  Bad password, easy to guess, easy to crack because it is
31 simple or common; not very secure even if the password is changed since
32 one could use the old password in certain situations and get at the
33 data.  Good strong password, changed or not; hard to crack even if the
34 whole drive is taken.
35
36 Moral of the story.  Have a good strong password and keep your mouth
37 shut about what the password is, unless you want that person to spill
38 the beans.  Or you plan to knock them off later.  ROFLMBO
39
40 I'm not storing the secrets to some new weapon that will destroy the
41 world and everything on it, including the roaches.  Well, that last one
42 might be OK. lol  I just want it so that when I fall into the cremation
43 chamber or a cemetery plot, it won't be easy for a person to access the
44 drive.  I'm good at the keeping password to myself bit.  Still thinking
45 on killing all the roaches tho .  I'd keep that secure but I wouldn't
46 mind being rid of those.  :/
47
48 I think I need to watch a youtube video on this tho.  I want to watch a
49 person not only install it but actually use it.  For example, what
50 triggers it asking for a password and what does it look like?  Is it
51 pretty fast, take a few seconds or what?  I got a lot of questions but
52 they are things that can't be answered easily in text.  Yea, gotta go
53 visit youtube.  Test drive youtube-dl again.
54
55 Dale
56