From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:09:18
1 On 20/12/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12/20/06, Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) <David.Nelson2@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 > > > I understand that every package is out there in some repository on the
5 > > > web. I think Neil has pointed me toward it once or twice at least. The
6 > > > problem is for a user type like me, and yes, I'm *purely* a user type,
7 > > > it's a bit beyond my skillset today to go get it and build the overlay
8 > > > myself.
9 > >
10 > > Is there, or could there be, a method for giving say 7 days notice for when an ebuild is going to be removed? Or, what about keeping removed ebuilds somewhere on the gentoo website or someplace for say 28 days. So if you want it, you can grab it and put it in an overlay or wherever.
13 > I'm sure this exists already. I don't know where it is but high level
14 > users like Neil and others have pointed me at it before.
15 >
16 > My personal problem was not finding it but moving it to my machine and
17 > creating the overlay. I'm not sure of directory structure. I don't
18 > know all the files that have to be there and where. I don't know about
19 > running digests, etc., and being a user I'm not all that interested in
20 > that stuff.
21 >
22 > My thought was that if I had a directory that looked like portage but
23 > held the old ebuilds then nothing gets removed - it just gets moved. I
24 > could then moved that directory in this local repository to an overlay
25 > and eix/portage would see it again.
26 >
27 > Anyway, thanks for the interest and the ideas.
28 >
29 > As for family members not a single one of them, except possibly my son
30 > today could even have a chance of setting up a Linux box. My son's
31 > first computer was RH when he was 6 or 7. Today's he's 14, runs
32 > Gentoo, rips CDs, uses Aqualung & xmms. He *might* get through a RH
33 > install but not Gentoo.
34
35 It's not like Gentoo is the only distro out there. It's only worth
36 starting from if you have (and are willing to take) the time to read
37 the docs.
38
39 It's not that Gentoo is so hard. It's that
40 > none of them know anything about 'vi' so how could they even edit a
41 > config file and give the system an IP address or point it at a name
42 > server? (Maybe the graphical installer but I'd not let them try for
43 > fear they'd wreck existing Windows installs trying to load it.)
44
45 Well last time I installed Gentoo the default editor was nano...with
46 all those lovely instructions on how to use it </sarcasm> cluttering
47 up the screen. Again, if you are going to take the time to READ the
48 instructions, it's not hard.
51 > Sometimes it's the things experienced people take most for granted
52 > that can be the most difficult for new people.
53
54 Granted, but most people are capable of reading and typing (even two
55 fingered typists). There are a lot more "consumer" gadgets that need
56 manuals (at least for "higher-order functions") than just computers.
57
58 Jeff
59 --
60 Now, did you hear the news today?
61 They say the danger's gone away
62 But I can hear the marching feet
63 Moving into the street
64
65 Adapted from Genesis, "Land of Confusion"
66
67 http://latedeveloperbasketcase.blogspot.com
68 --
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list