From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine reboots immediately when suspended-to-disk
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:46:15
1 2009/10/21 Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>:
2 > On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 20:14 -0400, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >>   I've enabled suspend-to-disk in the kernel.  When I issue the
4 >> command
5 >> "echo disk > /sys/power/state", it suspends but *IMMEDIATELY* reboots
6 >> and comes back up again.  The session restores properly from the swap
7 >> drive, so at least that part works.  What can I do to keep it sleeping
8 >> until I power up again?
9 >
10 > Ok I'm going to address this issue.  You specified multiple issues in
11 > your email.  I think it's better to split each issue into its own
12 > posting.  It's simpler easier to work with one problem at a time and
13 > also replies to postings on different issues don't get all garbled
14 > up/confusing in archive searches.
15 >
16 > Ok the echo trick isn't the recommended way to suspend to disk.  A
17 > better way is to use "pm-hibernate --quirks" (pm-hibernate is from the
18 > pm-utils packages).  The --quirks option will try to handle any, well,
19 > quirks that are known with your hardware.  echo'ing to /sys/power/state
20 > is a little more low-level and could be iffy on some types of hardware.
21 >
22 > You should also check dmesg.  More than likely there is a kernel error
23 > that explains why it failed to suspend completely.
24
25 Or use hibernate -v4 from a root terminal to see any error messages.
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick