From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Strategy for using SAN/NAS for storage with Gentoo...
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:45:35
1 On Tuesday 16 March 2010 21:13:29 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 16 Mar 2010, at 20:04, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:57:49 +0000, Stroller wrote:
4 > >> How does your system boot if your RAID1 system volume fails?
5 > >
6 > > You put GRUB on both disks, then you can boot from either on its own.
7 >
8 > Is this reliable? I don't contest it, I'm just asking. It's just this
9 > was one of my considerations when choosing hardware RAID.
10 >
11 > Stroller.
14 This is the generally recommended method and I found this method in the Gentoo
15 documentation. If this wouldn't be reliable, I would have expected this not to
16 be in the docs for long.
17
18 I have /boot mirrored, not actually tested with removing a disk yet, but I am
19 confident it will work.
20
21 If not, I have other methods of booting the system and getting to the data.
24 Joost