From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VMWare on Gentoo?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 05:19:38
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > I just got an evaluation copy of VMWare Workstation 5.5, and I'm
3 > momentarily glad
4 > I didn't pay for this thing. It seems to expect a RedHat style
5 > runlevel system.
6 > Has anybody successfully fooled with this thing to make it work on Gentoo?
7 >
8 > At the moment, its problems seem to be related to the daemon management
9 > features. I could clone them, but it would be a lot of work.
10 >
11 > --
12 > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
13 It looks like there is an ebuild.
14
15 However, I use VMWare workstation 4.x. All it really needs is
16 /etc/rc.[0-6] directories and a symlink.
17 Try the ebuild or just do what I did:
18
19 cd /etc
20 mkdir rc.d
21 for i in $(seq 0 6); do echo mkdir rc${i}.d; done
22 ln -sf ../init.d
23
24 After that you should be able to run the installer. The installer will
25 place a file named vmware in /etc/init.d/. I just run that file before
26 I want to start VMWare. All the startup script does is bring up the
27 virtual network that vmware uses.
28
29 Jim
33 There's no place like 127.0.0.1