From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Suspend to RAM caused crashes
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 04:56:06
1 On Sunday 21 August 2011, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/21/2011 02:19 PM, Francesco Talamona wrote:
3 > > I wish yours it's not a RAM
4 > >
5 > > issue, it could be tricky to spot, because memtest is not putting
6 > > any load to the machine, so it's very useful when it reports
7 > > error, but when it doesn't you can't be sure if RAM modules are in
8 > > good health.
9 >
10 > CPU load doesn't affect RAM errors. CPU load affects CPU errors. If
11 > you only get RAM errors during heavy load, the RAM is just fine, but
12 > your CPU has a fault.
13
14 I see your point: to better explain my statement I point you to
15 http://people.redhat.com/~dledford/memtest.shtml
16
17 The idea is that a "synthetic" test isn't guaranteed to repeat real life
18 conditions, so its results has to be interpreted rather than taken
19 acritically.
20
21 Cheers
22 Francesco
23 --
24 Linux Version 3.0.3-gentoo, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 19 07:16:13
26 Two 2.9GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processors, 4GB RAM, 11659 Bogomips Total
27 aemaeth