From: henkg@××××××××××××××.nl
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] initial startup time of programs like emerge
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:59:19
1 Hello,
2
3 I have 4 gentoo systems. Three are 1-3 years old, the fourth has just
4 been rebooted for the first time after installing gento 2005.1 on it.
5
6 When I reboot any of the older three computers and simply type
7 emerge
8
9 it takes 14 to 20 seconds before I get a message from emerge. On the
10 fourth computer this takes only 2 seconds or so.
11
12 A second emerge commands on all machines retunrs quickly.
13
14 Just to see if some kind of defragmentation might help, I made a full
15 copy of my root partition to a new one, altered grub.conf and restarted.
16 Emerge startup time improved from 20 to 14 seconds which is still rather
17 slow.
18
19 Programs like mplayer show simular initial startup times.
20
21 All computer are athlon 1600-2000 based, and have hard disks tat read
22 about 38 mb/s according to hdparm.
23
24 Is there a way to speed up initial program load times?
25
26 Kind regards,
27
28 Henk.