From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] temporarily lower gcc's optimization flags - HowTo
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:00:27
1 On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:20:52 +0200 (CEST)
3 >
4 > Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > due to a bug with gcc-4.3.1 when used with -O2 or higher
8 > > I need to emerge a package with a lower optimization (-O1)
9 > > than my default in /etc/make.conf (which is -O2)
10 > >
11 > > Is there a means to do so without changing /etc/make.conf
12 > > temporarily?
13
14 [snip]
15
16 > AFAIK, you can override all settings when calling emerge like this:
17 >
18 > CFLAGS="..." emerge ...
19
20 Which is something you should never do.
21
22 Portage does not know that you did this, and with the next emerge it
23 will revert back to whatever is in the various config files, which you
24 will have forgotten, and you will pull your hair out for hours trying
25 to figure out what the problem is. For the second time.
26
27 Don't change env vars on the command line to modify portage's behaviour,
28 instead use the relevant config file, unless such a file really really
29 doe snot exist.
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list