From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] different equal versions question
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:02:55
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 >On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:44:26 +0000 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
4 >wrote:
5 >| On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:22:10 +0100, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
6 >| > It's possible that at two different points in time, the file of the
7 >| > ebuild change also with an unchanched version?
8 >|
9 >| It happens, usually when a bug is discovered in an ebuild.
10 >|
11 >| I don't think it's a good idea. If the ebuild is changed, the revision
12 >| should be bumped (IMO).
13 >
14 >Think about what you said, especially in relation to KEYWORDS. Also, I'd
15 >suggest reading the ebuild policy docs on that, we have rules on when we
16 >do and don't -r bump.
20 quoting
21 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1
22
23 |Package revision numbers should be incremented by Gentoo Linux
24 |developers when the ebuild has changed to the point where users would
25 |want to upgrade. Typically, this is the case when fixes are made to an
26 |ebuild that affect the resultant installed files, but the ebuild uses
27 |the same source tarball as the previous release. If you make an
28
29 So if the compiled program is differend there should be a version bump.
30 Maybe expecially if the compiled program has different behaviour
31
32 |internal, stylistic change to the ebuild that does not change any of the
33 |installed files, then there is no need to bump the revision number.
34 |Likewise, if you fix a compilation problem in the ebuild that was
35 |affecting some users, there is no need to bump the revision number,
36 |since those for whom it worked perfectly would see no benefit in
37 |installing a new revision, and those who experienced the problem do not
38 |have the package installed (since compilation failed) and thus have no
39 |need for the new revision number to force an upgrade. A revision bump is
40 |also not necessary if a minority of users will be affected and the
41 |package has a nontrivial average compilation time; use your best
42 |judgement in these circumstances.
43
44 This question came from having 2 machines installed in the last few days
45 and behaving different.
46
47 regards Francesco Riosa
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list