From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Adding Gentoo to Win-XP/NTSF machine
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 02:25:17
1 On 8/26/06, Sven Köhler <skoehler@×××.de> wrote:
2 > > 2) Do I put grub on the Gentoo boot partition and then do the standard
3 > > chain load to Win XP? If this is the case then which partitions should
4 > > be marked as bootable?
5 >
6 > AFAIK, grub can only be put into the MBR of a disk. anything like
7 > "grub-install /dev/hda1" just will not work. Only something like
8 > "grub-install /dev/hda" will do.
9 >
10 > LILO could be installed into some partition's boot-sector. I loved it -
11 > but GRUB doesn't like that idea.
14 Hi Sven,
15 No, it does work. I hgave one machine with Fedora's grub in the
16 MBR. One choice it had was to jump to grub in a partition so you got a
17 second set of boot options based on what hot-plug drive was installed.
18 It worked fine.
19
20 I did my first test of trying to use the NTLDR. It did attempt to
21 load the grub menu but then the grub boot fails, probably because I
22 have built a bad kernel or something. I think that this Windows NTLDR
23 method may end up being sort of difficult to get the machine working
24 the first time, but very reasonable later.. We'll see.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Mark
28