From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 06:52:40
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Hemmann, Volker Armin
3 > [mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de]
4 > Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 3:34 PM
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
9 > On Dienstag, 22. Mai 2007, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
10 > > Ok, Here goes...
13 > > How large is the package archive for gentoo, assuming a
14 > full copy of
15 > > the portage tree, and all of the source tarballs in the distfiles
16 > > directory of the average server?
17 >
18 > dunno, but huge.
19 <snip>
20 > you will waste a lot of bandwidth and diskspace. The mirror
21 > might hate you for
22 > it. You will have lots and lots of packages like packageX.1.1,
23 > packageX.1.1.0, packageX.1.1.1....
24 > --
25 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
26
27 I think that a better option may be to decide which software I want,
28 and use emerge -ef <package> on each of the big packages to get just
29 what I need. Maybe setting up a stage three install, with just the
30 kernel, boot loader, and portage and using 'emerge -ef world' first
31 might have the desired effect as far as getting the base system first.
32
33 :-)
34
35 That would also let me make sure that I have an up to date portage tree,
36 and just the files I need and maybe a few more. ^^;;
37
38 Does that sound better, and less likely to piss off the mirrors? :P
39
40 ---
41 Ken
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list