From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cron and disabling emails for one script only
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 08:22:30
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 18:51:56 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I think you have to do it in your actual backup script or put the
5 >>> whole thing in the hourly directory putting >/dev/null at the end of
6 >>> each rsync command, but leaving off the 2>&1, so you will get error
7 >>> messages.
8 >> This seems to be working.  Since I added the null bit to the script
9 >> itself, it hasn't sent a email.  I don't know if it will if it fails but
10 >> I still have weekly backups as well.
11 > If you only redirect stdout to /dev/null and leave stderr alone, you
12 > should still see errors. But a better option would be to have your script
13 > only send output when something goes wrong.
18 That sounds complicated.  I've never been good at what y'all call
19 scripting.  I'm just glad it does it for me so I don't forget.
20
21 Dale
22