From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Yikes, replacing sata 200gb with Sata 750gb .. no bootsky.
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:37:47
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Boot partition is not involved here. Its on a a different (IDE) disk.
5 >>
6 >> Its not on a partition actually but in the MBR of Master drive on
7 >> first IDE controller. The newly added disk is sata and is on a PCI
8 >> sata controller (Adeptec 1205sa).
9 >
10 > After re-reading your first post, my guess would be: your new drives
11 > are SATA II but your Adapter controller does not support that,
12 > according to http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/sata/sata_host/ASH-1205SA/
13 >
14 > Most drives have a jumper to put them into 1.5gbps mode (rather than
15 > 3gbps mode). See if your new drives have one of those jumpers.
16
17 There are pins (no actual jumper was supplied) but the only thing mentioned
18 on the drive about using pins is this:
19
20 Jumpered pins 3 and 4 enables PUIS (Power Up In Standby)
21
22 I think I found what you are referring to but there is no mention of
23 changing 3gb to 1.5gb... at least not in those terms. Or maybe this
24 is something else.
25
26 They call it:
27
28 Enable or disable the spread spectrum clocking feature.
29 Default setting is disable
30
31 Here:
32 http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=487&language=en
33
34 Which has this further link on the Specification tab/Left hand column
35 Quick Installation Guide
36
37 http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2079-001042.pdf