From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Root on NFS Suspend/Resume support
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:04:41
1 On 12/11/2018 04:23 AM, Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor wrote:
2 > You're totally correct, more information would be beneficial, here goes.
3
4 :-)
5
6 > All machines are Wired 1Gbps connections.
7
8 ACK
9
10 That means that you don't have the complications (and performance
11 issues) of wireless.
12
13 > Uefi IP4 network stack sends dhcp request, gets boot file pxelinux.efi,
14 > the default entry sends the linux kernel (no initramfs needed, firmware
15 > added to kernel image).
16
17 Interesting.
18
19 Do you have reservations in the DHCP server? Or are the addresses truly
20 dynamic?
21
22 Are you relying on the client's UEFI implementation to provide the menu?
23 Or are you using PXELINUX for the menu? (I know it's a nuance, but it
24 is a difference.) The latter is much easier to centrally manage than
25 the former.
26
27 Does the UEFI stack get the same IP via DHCP that the OS gets via DHCP?
28 Is there any sort of contention? Does UEFI release the IP before
29 bootstrapping the PXELINUX image? Does the DHCP server view the
30 multiple requests from the same client MAC as a form of a refresh? Or
31 does it just offer the same IP?
32
33 > Another good note is the kernel contains the command line built-in for
34 > using root on NFS.
35
36 Okay. ~pondering~
37
38 Are all clients booting the same kernel, thus using the same command line?
39
40 This means that clients must use DHCP to retrieve their IP address.
41
42 I guess there is some opportunity to return different files (PXELINUX
43 image / config and / or kernel file) to different clients to get
44 different behavior. But that might be more complexity than is necessary.
45
46 Would you please share the kernel command line? I'm quite curious what
47 the syntax is for NFS root.
48
49 > Machine loads, mounts the required mount points through NFS4.2 (so much
50 > better than the old NFS 3 speeds).
51
52 Nice.
53
54 > LightDM loads and users are free to work, in this case family members
55 > playing Steam/Diablo 3/etc.
56
57 :-)
58
59 > I switched to using Root on NFS for alot of reasons.
60
61 :-)
62
63 > Maintaining 4 gentoo installs on machines of varying specs and remembering
64 > to update each with good updates added a fair amount of administration
65 > time. (4, because the server is included)
66
67 *nod*
68
69 > Using chroots on the server as binary build hosts for each machine
70 > solves some problems, but increases space requirements quite a bit, and
71 > adds latency if you want to use it while it's emerging anything, plus
72 > compiling say Libreoffice or whatever 3+ times in a row is pretty slow.
73
74 That makes me think that you are using a separate NFS export for each
75 machine's root.
76
77 I have wondered about trying to do something similar (likely start in a
78 VM) that has (at least) one machine specific export for things like
79 /etc, but would then try to use a common export for things like /usr,
80 /lib, and maybe /var.
81
82 Maybe a common / export and a per machine /etc would accomplish what I'm
83 thinking.
84
85 > Side note, If anyone else runs diskless I have a patch for wine I can
86 > send out that returns the nfs mount as a fixed hard drive, there are a
87 > few apps/games that refuse to install/run on a network share, and a patch
88 > for steam that removes the file locking issues so updates run quick and
89 > smooth
90
91 Nice.
92
93 > (neither will ever be upstreamable, people have tried in the past)
94
95 :-/
96
97 > Thanks for your response, I'd love to help if you have any more questions,
98 > it's been a fun experience for me for sure. Also, cachefilesd if there's a
99 > drive available, makes everything feel like it's not a networked machine
100 > at all here.
101 You're welcome.
102
103 Thank you for sharing.
104
105 I'd love to know more about how you're doing things.
106
107 - What is common between the diskless clients and what is unique.
108 - PXELINUX image / config
109 - Kernel image
110 - NFS exports
111 - What do your exports look like.
112 - What sort of configuration you have in your DHCP server that's
113 specific to this.
114 - Any sticky reservations, possibly with machine specific parameters.
115 - Other things that I can't think of at the moment.
116
117 Thank you again. Very interesting stuff.
122 Grant. . . .
123 unix || die