From: che@××××××.se
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: linux-headers-2.6.38
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:00:23
1 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> writes:
2 > On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:02, <che@××××××.se> wrote:
3 >> Also, beware. If you recompile glibc withe NPTL_KERN_VER set, you can't
4 >> boot with older kernels anymore.
7 > Can you explain what did you mean with "older kernels"? Kernels older
8 > than a certain version, or a previously-compiled kernel on my system?
11 Older then the kernel you specified, previously-compiled kernels not
12 older than that is still fine.
13
14 Any executable linked to glibc will fail unconditionally with
15 "FATAL: Kernel too old", including init.
18 > Anyways, this is a fresh install, so I don't think I'll have any trouble.
19 >
20 > But will still appreciate a reference and/or explanation re:
21 > NPTL_KERN_VER, though.
22
23 glibc will be configured with --enable-kernel=2.6.38
24
25 The configure help says this;
26
27 --enable-kernel=VERSION compile for compatibility with kernel not older than VERSION
30 Christer