From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSDs, swap, caching, other unusual uses
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:04:17
1 On Friday 29 July 2011 14:18:41 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > Something that's been tickling my brain for a couple years now, and
3 > you guys are probably the right ones to ask.
4 >
5 > I haven't dropped coin for an SSD (yet), but I was wondering about
6 > uses for them beyond using them for / or /home.
7 >
8 > 1) What about sitting swap (partition, file, whatever) on the SSD?
9
10 NO!
11
12 For $DEITY's sake- NO!
13
14 ssds can't withstand many writes (yeah, I know, millions blablabla... earlier
15 done than you think). Do Not Do This.
16
17 SSDs are not meant for such a scenario.
18
19 > Presumably, in scenarios where expanding the RAM in a system is
20 > prohibitively expensive, an SSD could reduce the impact of swap
21 > thrash.
22
23 no, it is increasing the impact of SSD trash.
24
25 > 2) While my system rarely goes above using 2-2.5GB of RAM, I enjoy
26 > having 6-8GB of RAM, just for the file cache. Of course, I lose that
27 > when I reboot; the cache needs to be repopulated. Has there been any
28 > work in the kernel for doing things like Vista/Win7's ReadyBoost?
29 > ReadyBoost has a ridiculous limit to only using 4GB of a flash drive,
30 > but I'd think that an 80GB SSD would be a massive performance
31 > improvement.
34 with a SSD filecache is not that important anymore - and every usb-stick is
35 slower than a SSD.
36
37 > Obviously, for something like Gentoo, putting an SSD-based filesystem
38 > under /var/tmp makes a lot of sense, but what other uses have been
39 > tried? How'd they work out?
40
41 no, /var/tmp is very not important from a performance point of view - with the
42 exception of /var/tmp/portage - and that is a candidate for tempfs.
45 #163933