From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Laptop: Thinkpad T43: Disks Very Slow Under Load, Were Fast in the Past
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 03:38:21
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm running gentoo on an IBM Thinkpad T43. In the past, disk access was
4 fine under load (CPU or disk). These days, the disk becomes painfully
5 slow under moderate to high CPU usage (such as compiling) or copying
6 more than a few MB. GUI's become almost totally unresponsive and at
7 times I have to down the system hard.
8
9 So it seems it's some sort of a change in kernels compared to the past.
10 I have always run a vanilla kernel, manually configured and installed.
11 Right now I am running 2.6.24.3.
12
13 The system uses an SATA disk drive.
14
15 Here is the boot line in grub.conf:
16 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-stable root=/dev/sda4 rw hdc=noprobe
17 acpi_sleep=s3_bios panic=5 elevator=cfq nmi_watchdog=0
18
19 /boot/vmlinuz-stable being a symlink to the kernel I consider "stable"
20 within /boot/. I also have vmlinuz-last called by another grub entry if
21 I need it.
22
23 Here is my kernel config: http://fire-eyes.org/t/config-2.6.24.3.txt
24 (may disappear in the future)
25
26 I am looking for feedback into what may be causing this mess. It makes
27 for a very frustrating time using this laptop.
28
29 Thank you!
30 --
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list