From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: When did bzImage move?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:11:10
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
5 >> The problem I ran into when I copied the old way, cp
6 >> arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot, that wasn't the kernel but was a link to
7 >> the kernel in the x86 directory tree. When I copied the link then the
8 >> link got broke and then it appeared red on my screen. I thought I was
9 >> going nuts for a bit. I hadn't heard anything about the kernel being
10 >> moved and it had been a while. I'm old and I do forget sometimes.
13 > Dale, from one old `f..t' to another.. here is a little tip I use
14 > dozens of ways to aid my sorry failing memory.
15 >
16 > In ~/.inputrc
17 >
18 > Something like (verbatim):
19 >
20 > "\M-f": "ls -l `find ./ -iname 'bzimage'`"
21 >
22 > after saving ~/.inputrc, type C-x C-r to make readline re-read
23 > it.
24 >
25 > Then anytime you press Atl-f readline will put that command on the
26 > cmdline for you.
27 >
28 > So inside /usr/src/linux, Alt-f <enter> will dig up bzimage and show
29 > any deceitful symlinks for what they are... hehe.
30 >
31 > May not be that useful .. at least until someone sneaks in and moves
32 > bzimage again, but I guess you can imagine the many ways putting
33 > things in .inputrc will free you from remembering stuff.
39 Well, what I did was go into Konqueror and look to see where the link
40 was pointing too. It told me exactly where it was. I could have done
41 the same in console but I was logged into KDE already so I just did it
42 the Nintendo way. LOL
43
44 Yep, I'm only 41 but I feel like a lot older most days.
45
46 Dale
47