From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 13:43:59
1 On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 13:04:50 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 02:18:00 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > There is no more weird partitions from the days of DOS, no PV/VG/LV
7 > > to remember the details of. There is only storage and ZFS knows
8 > > what I want to happen with each "chunk" of it. A "chunk" (my term)
9 > > in this context is a directory and everything below it.
10 > >
11 > > ZFS doesn't have partitions and filesystems. It has volumes. A
12 > > volume is sort of a cross between a filesystem (you mount it and
13 > > can assign quotas to it) and a directory (you assign permissions
14 > > and ownerships to it). You can overcommit storage space and quotas
15 > > - you do not get "disk full" errors and three days of nightmares
16 > > while you figure out how to deal with this. the FS just tells you
17 > > it used more than the allocated space and keeps telling you till
18 > > you get it under the limit.
19 >
20 > I've been looking at zfsonlinux and it looks a lot simpler than the
21 > layers of RAID and LVM, but what about encryption. Can I encrypt
22 > directories within ZFS or do I have to use something like ecryptfs on
23 > top of it?
26 AFAIK, Oracle included encryption in ZFS v30 but this has not been
27 released as opensource. The last OSS version released was 28.
28
29 What this means to me is that devs could include disk-encryption but
30 they probably won't have a standard to code to, and that implies a
31 whole lotta YMMV. You'd have to use ecryptfs or friends for now.
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com