From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sharing a CUPS printer
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:53:31
1 Hi,
2 Sorry. This has got to be me just not seeing the right way about
3 this. What do I have to do on my Gentoo AMD64 machine with a working
4 CUPS printer to share it with other Gentoo desktop machines here at
5 home?
6
7 I have a working CUPS printer on my machine. I want to print to it
8 from my wife and son's machines. I've been trying to figure out how to
9 set that up but cannot get the right configuration. It seems that the
10 Gentoo Printing Guide is somewhat silent on this.
11
12 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
13
14 On the machine with the printer I've done what I think the guide
15 has asked for, modified for my network IP addresses:
16
17 <Location />
18 Order Deny,Allow
19 Deny From All
20 Allow From 127.0.0.1
21 Allow From 192.168.1.*
22 </Location>
25 (make sure the next two lines are commented out)
26 #Listen 127.0.0.1:631
27 #Listen localhost:631
28
29 At this point I believe I'm supposed to set up IPP printing on the
30 remote machines but everything I've tried there results in messages
31 about the printer not being found, not responding, not existing, etc.
32 I'm telling CUPS that it's an IPP printer and trying addresses like:
33
34 ipp://lightning/ipp
35 ipp://lightning/ipp/port1
36 etc.
37
38 However when I try to print to it I get messages in CUPS like:
39
40 "Destination printer does not exist!"
41
42 I'm sure it's just me not understanding the right way to input the
43 printer's address.
44
45 Thanks in advance,
46 Mark