From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage sandbox path-depth limit ?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 09:02:28
1 On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 06:30:23 GMT Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
2 > I'm having fun enabling "test" in FEATURES on my gentoo-desktop. One
3 > interesting failure, that brings to mind build failures I have had in
4 > the past:
5 >
6 > Building sys-apps/mlocate-0.26-r2, I get
7 >
8 > 43: updatedb: Very deep hierarchy FAILED
9 > (updatedb.at:261)
10 >
11 > Trying to reproduce, as root I do "make check" in the work/mlocate-0.26/
12 > , and the test passes.
13 >
14 > 43: updatedb: Very deep hierarchy ok
15 >
16 > I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, as I believe it must have
17 > the same root-cause as issues I have had compiling large packages such
18 > as firefox.
19 >
20 > Re-running both the emerge and the make check, I get the same results.
21 > emerge fails, make check succeeds. I made a local copy of the ebuild and
22 > inserted a "ulimit -a" in pre_src_test.
23 >
24 > ulimit from root-shell:
25 >
26 > # ulimit -a
27 > core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited
28 > data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
29 > scheduling priority (-e) 0
30 > file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
31 > pending signals (-i) 59958
32 > max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 16384
33 > max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
34 > open files (-n) 1024
35 > pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
36 > POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
37 > real-time priority (-r) 0
38 > stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192
39 > cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
40 > max user processes (-u) 10000
41 > virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
42 > file locks (-x) unlimited
43 >
44 > ulimit from emerge:
45 > >>> Source compiled.
46 >
47 > core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited
48 > data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
49 > scheduling priority (-e) 0
50 > file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
51 > pending signals (-i) 59958
52 > max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 16384
53 > max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
54 > open files (-n) 1024
55 > pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
56 > POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
57 > real-time priority (-r) 0
58 > stack size (kbytes, -s) 9788
59 > cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
60 > max user processes (-u) 10000
61 > virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
62 > file locks (-x) unlimited
63 >
64 > >>> Test phase: sys-apps/mlocate-0.26-r2
65 >
66 > I have plenty of space in my portage temp directory (/pt):
67 >
68 > # df -hT ./
69 > Filsystem Type Størrelse Brukt Tilgj. Bruk% Montert på
70 > /dev/xvdc ext4 163G 8,0G 147G 6% /pt
71 >
72 > Portage temp is at /pt due to the earlier mentioned issues with firefox.
73 >
74 > At my wits end here. Anyone ?
75
76 I have not looked or used the test FEATURES of portage, but have also noticed
77 over time certain packages fail to build on machines with low RAM. As low
78 here I consider anything less than 4G. It seems each thread is now consuming
79 so much memory they cumulatively use up all RAM available and then start
80 swapping endlessly until the compilation invariably fails. Increasingly more
81 and more packages have been suffering from this, the last two I noticed are
82 qtwebkit and qtwebengine.
83
84 My solution has been to create a package.env file in which I specify MAKEOPTS
85 limiting the number of jobs and average load for any of these packages which
86 chew up all the RAM.
87 --
88 Regards,
89 Mick