From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The X11-trap: Once back on textconsole...and no one comes back ever...
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 13:14:39
1 On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:27 AM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > But once touching the console, where X11 should still be
4 > running and which is now occupied by the deep dark unholy
5 > "nothing" ;) I got trapped -- no way out and a bindly
6 > keyed login followed by a reboot has nothing as result.
9 What is your kernel configuration around the console? Are you using
10 any binary modules (cough...nvidia...)? KMS? Framebuffer? What
11 hardware is this?
12
13 In general this shouldn't happen, and I've mainly seen it on tainted
14 kernels, or in the old days of X11 running as root.
15
16 With mainline kernel drivers and KMS things have been pretty reliable for me.
17
18 If you are using nvidia-drivers, you're probably at their mercy. If
19 you are running an untainted kernel and KMS and can get enough info to
20 the linux devs they would almost certainly consider this a valid bug.
21 It shouldn't be possible for userspace to break the console in the new
22 design.
25 Rich