From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Questions about building from source tarball
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:58:43
Several years ago, back in the days of Mozilla 0.9x and Phoenix, I
used to build Mozilla and/or Pheonix from the source tarball.  I've been
using Gentoo for years, and I've forgotten a lot about building manually
from source.  I asked this question on mozillazine.org, but no answers
yet.  Hopefully, I can get some help here.  I'm looking at
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Simple_SeaMonkey_build and I
have a few questions...

1) What options do I need to set to make Seamonkey (or Firefox) build
in, and run from, a local dir, e.g. "${HOME}/seamonkey"?  Something to
do with "prefix" and "exec-prefix"?  I'd prefer to avoid jumping to root
for the install.  And throwing in files in /usr that portage doesn't
know about, is begging for trouble.

2) I read the instructions on how to pass the "O2" flag to the make and
compile process. What about the rest of the CFLAGS line?  My CFLAGS are

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"

  For those who are wondering, I want to tweak it well beyond what the
Gentoo ebuild allows.  And I'll be doing some experimentation, so I
couldn't specify what I want right now.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>