From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Questions about building from source tarball
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:58:43
1 Several years ago, back in the days of Mozilla 0.9x and Phoenix, I
2 used to build Mozilla and/or Pheonix from the source tarball. I've been
3 using Gentoo for years, and I've forgotten a lot about building manually
4 from source. I asked this question on mozillazine.org, but no answers
5 yet. Hopefully, I can get some help here. I'm looking at
6 https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Simple_SeaMonkey_build and I
7 have a few questions...
8
9 1) What options do I need to set to make Seamonkey (or Firefox) build
10 in, and run from, a local dir, e.g. "${HOME}/seamonkey"? Something to
11 do with "prefix" and "exec-prefix"? I'd prefer to avoid jumping to root
12 for the install. And throwing in files in /usr that portage doesn't
13 know about, is begging for trouble.
14
15 2) I read the instructions on how to pass the "O2" flag to the make and
16 compile process. What about the rest of the CFLAGS line? My CFLAGS are
17
18 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
19
20 For those who are wondering, I want to tweak it well beyond what the
21 Gentoo ebuild allows. And I'll be doing some experimentation, so I
22 couldn't specify what I want right now.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications