From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-191 bit me. Insufficient ptys
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:26:56
1 On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> So, I botched the upgrade to udev-191. I thought I'd followed the
5 >>> steps, but I apparently only covered them for one machine, not both.
6 >>>
7 >>> The news item instructions specified that I had to remove
8 >>> udev-postmount from my runlevels. I didn't have udev-postmount in my
9 >>> runlevels, so I didn't remove it. Turns out, that dictum also applies
10 >>> to udev-mount. So after removing that[1], I was able to at least boot
11 >>> again.
12 >>>
13 >>> Udev also complained about DEVTMPFS not being enabled in the
14 >>> kernel.[2] I couldn't get into X, but I could log in via getty and a
15 >>> plain old vt, so I enabled it, rebuilt the kernel, installed it and
16 >>> rebooted...and now that's presumably covered.
17 >>>
18 >>> I'm now able to get into X, but when I try to run an xterm, it fails.
19 >>> Checking ~/.xsession_errors, I find:
20 >>>
21 >>> xterm: Error 32, error 2: No such file or directory
22 >>> Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys
23 >>
24 >> Do you have CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y? If so, do you really need it? A
25 >> little over a year ago[1] I had an annoying issue for having that
26 >> option enabled in my kernel, with a lot of virtual ttys reported in
27 >> systemctl. This is a shot in the dark (I really don't know if it's
28 >> related to your problem), but perhaps having the LEGACY_PTYS option
29 >> enabled somehow depleted your available pseudo terminals (which any X
30 >> terminal needs to run)? I suppose screen is also out of the question
31 >> for the same reason.
32
33 No, I don't have CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYs. I do have UNIX98 PTYs, and I
34 tried enabling alternate namespaces, but that didn't help either.
37 > Also related, if you have LEGACY_PTYS:
38 >
39 > "LEGACY_PTY_COUNT:
40 >
41 > The maximum number of legacy PTYs that can be used at any one time.
42 > The default is 256, and should be more than enough. Embedded
43 > systems may want to reduce this to save memory.
44 >
45 > When not in use, each legacy PTY occupies 12 bytes on 32-bit
46 > architectures and 24 bytes on 64-bit architectures."
47
48 Yeah, I'm not using CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY, so LEGACY_PTY_COUNT doesn't
49 even make itself available in menuconfig.
52 :wq