From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is there a known source of recent gentoo vm appliances?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:35:32
1 On 23/03/2014 00:23, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 03/22/2014 09:44 PM, thegeezer wrote:
5 >>> On 03/22/2014 08:58 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
6 >>>> Can anyone post a known source of recent gentoo based vm appliances?
7 >>>>
8 >>>> One that will work with VirtualBox would be especially handy.
9 >>>>
10 >> was curious though - a quick google search shows
11 >> http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Virtualbox_Guest#Configuring_the_Kernel
12 >> for the kernel conf
13 >> and
14 >> http://virtualboxes.org/Fimages/gentoo/ for the image
15 >> or
16 >> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-websites-to-download-virtual-disk-images-for-virtualbox/
17 >> for pointers to a few more
18 >>
19 >> my own 2c though, you don't really know what's on them so make sure to
20 >> tread carefully!
21 >
22 > A few points:
23 > There used to be a fellow that posted here regularly who built them
24 >
25 > My googling also turned up at least the middle one.
26 > I was pretty sure that there would be a newer setup than 2008
27 >
28 > And finally, I hoped to hear of a tried and true source to eliminate
29 > all the kind of guesswork you are suggesting to be careful of.
32 Harry,
33
34 Why look for a pre-built VM?
35
36 Latest stage 3 is likely to be more current than a pre-built VM, and its
37 really hard to come up with a setup that suits general needs.
38
39 This is gentoo after all, and you are likely to to tweak a VM anyway
40 just like you'd do with a regular host. In the time it takes to download
41 a pre-built VM, you could also download a stage3 plus portage snapshot
42 and unpack them into a blank VM, with much the same result.
43
44 What are you hoping to achieve by using something pre-built?
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com