From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: "Space" opera
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 08:11:02
1 On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 06:32:24 +0200 (CEST), Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
2
3 > When I have to copy my current / to another harddisk, which has a
4 > different physical layout of partitions and another overall size --
5 > how would I do this best (conserving as much of the information
6 > of the old root as possible)
7 >
8 > Is cp -a sufficient ?
9
10 I always use rsync for this, it preserves directory timestamps, which cp
11 does not, and can be stopped and restarted if necessary.
12
13 rsync -ax(v) /mnt/oldpartition/ /mnt/newpartition/
14
15 The trailing slashes matter!
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Use Colgate toothpaste or end up with teeth like a Ferengi.