From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:10:23
1 On 2013-08-21 2:52 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:56:36 +0100, thegeezer wrote:
3 >
4 >> anyone have any good pointers to an initramfs interrogator, maybe that
5 >> takes as argument kernel command line ?
6 >
7 > I posted a script fragment that compares the contents of the kernel's
8 > initramfs config file with the live filesystem. Dracut users could use
9 > the same method by parsing the output from lsinitrd.
10
11 My question is, why can't portage do this automatically as part of the
12 update process for these packages?
13
14 Again: support for separate /usr should absolutely NOT be dropped
15 unless/until this process can be handled properly by portage itself.
16
17 At an absolute bare minimum, the emerge output should advise the user
18 if/when they need to update their initramfs, but ideally, it should be
19 done automatically - automation is something that computers are good at.