From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Preparing a blank NVMe as a boot drive...
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 11:25:28
1 Hi,
2
3 I read quite some stuff of the more general kind about NVMe, the
4 technoloy etc...and would not state to be sure of haveing understood
5 all that ...
6
7 Currently I have installed (physically) a NVMe drive, which is
8 unaltered and in the state as the company has delivered it.
9
10 This drive should become my boot drive with a complete root system.
11
12 I read something about NVMe-fabric which seems to me like a network
13 enable access to that drive, which I don't need.
14
15 Then there was something mentioned about namespaces, which should
16 be allocated smaller than the physical drive.
17
18 Is this really needed - just to boot from this SSD?
19 Or is it sufficient (and harmless for the SSD) to just
20 partitioning and format the drive?
21 Anything different than handling a harddisk?
22
23 Addtionally here
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SSD
25 I found some hints regarding page sizes and erase block sizes
26 when partitioning the drive.
27
28 On several page in the internet I read, that this is
29 "old magic"...the problems do no longer appear, since
30 the controller of the SSD maps all that to the physical
31 NAND by itsself.
32
33 Currently I got confused and want my diesel driven
34 calculator back. ;)
35
36 Cheers!
37 Meino