From: ny6p01@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:12:50
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 01:08:22PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:48:35 +0200
3 > Coert Waagmeester <lgroups@××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 02/23/2012 11:17 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 > > > On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:51:43 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > >> The only thing I can currently think of is maybe the kernel config
9 > > >> files in /boot?
10 > > >
11 > > > I'd say it's more likely to be getting it from /proc/config.gz.
12 > > >
13 > > > But why start with a clean config each time? That means you have
14 > > > plenty of opportunities to produce a broken kernel on every update.
15 > > >
16 > > >
17 > >
18 > > Is there a way to import old config files with newer kernel sources?
19 > > I tried it once by simply copying .config into the newer src dir, but
20 > > I read somewhere that there could be incompatibilities.
23 > That is exactly how you do it. Copy a .config over and run make
24 > oldconfig
25 >
26 > Yes, there could be incompatibilities. This might happen once every few
27 > years when you do an upgrade over 10 version numbers. But that can be
28 > fixed.
29 >
30 > Not doing it this way means a very high likelyhood of the machine not
31 > booting with every single upgrade, plus the huge amount of work it
32 > takes to go through everything in menuconfig.
33 >
34 > The choices are simple,
35 >
36 > - low risk of occasional breakage
37 > - high risk of frequent breakage
41 > --
42 > Alan McKinnnon
43 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
47 Or just import .config into the 'New' directory, and run plain ol' make
48 menuconfig. Menuconfig will import what it can from the old config. From
49 what I've read of the docs, make oldconfig is the dangerous part that should
50 be avoided between substantial kernel updates.
51
52 Terry