From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yahoo and strange traffic.
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:21:59
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > Joshua Murphy wrote:
4 > > Well, glancing at the GET request it's making there, as well as the
5 > > API google points me to when I look it up...
6 > >
7 > > http://developer.yahoo.com/messenger/guide/ch03s02.html#d4e4628
8 > >
9 > > You're right that it's after an image from their profile, but the
10 > > cause of the failure appears to be related to some sort of credentials
11 > > Yahoo wants the messenger to provide. You might poke Kopete's
12 > > bugtracker to see if they've a related bug on file already, and if
13 > > they don't, throw one their way.
14 > >
15 > > The API Yahoo appears to be using there (based on a response I got
16 > > back in poking lightly) is, or is based on, OAuth, which according to
17 > > this:
18 > >
19 > > http://oauth.net/core/1.0/#http_codes
20 > >
21 > > specifies that a request should give a 401 response (Authorization
22 > > Required vs Unauthorized is purely the choice of phrase used in the
23 > > program decoding the numerical code, i.e. wireshark in your example of
24 > > it there) in the following cases:
25 > >
26 > > HTTP 401 Unauthorized
27 > > * Invalid Consumer Key
28 > > * Invalid / expired Token
29 > > * Invalid signature
30 > > * Invalid / used nonce
31 > >
32 > > Yahoo, essentially, *does* give a "bugger off"!! with that response,
33 > > but Kopete simply takes it, considers it a brief instant, then decides
34 > > "Maybe the answer will change if I try again *now*!"... at which point
35 > > it proceeds to introduce its proverbial cranium to the proverbial
36 > > brick and mortar vertical surface one might term "the wall."
37 > > Repeatedly.
41 > I was sort of figuring that it was trying to get something and Yahoo
42 > wasn't liking it. At least now we know for sure.
43 >
44 > I went to bug.kde and searched but I didn't see anything. Of course,
45 > I'm not really sure what the heck to look for since I don't know what is
46 > failing, other than Kopete.
47
48 Best bet would probably be to check with the Kopete devs on IRC or mailing list
49 (kopete-devel).
50
51 Ben