From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Documentation of and utilities to manipulate console fonts?
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:39:59
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 Recently, in another software project, somebody wants to replace the
4 ASCII quoting characters ", `, ' with curly unicode quoting characters.
5 I'm not in favour of this, but I'll probably be losing the argument.
6
7 So I need a font which can display these characters. Not an X-windows
8 GUI font, but a console font. There doesn't seem to be a suitable one
9 in /usr/share/consolefonts, so I'll probably have to modify an existing
10 one to make a new one.
11
12 Relevant to the discussion is the program "setfont". It's man page
13 describes in general terms what is contained in a font file like
14 /usr/share/consolefonts/lat1-16.psfu.gz, but not its exact format, nor
15 where to look to find this description. I haven't found anything useful
16 in the kernel Documentation tree, yet.
17
18 This documentation must surely exist somewhere. Does anybody here know
19 where? Additionally, there must be utilities for manipulating these
20 fonts. Does anybody here know what any of these utilities are called?
21
22 Many thanks for the help!
25 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).