From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to knutclient
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 21:01:47
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I did some looking around (I had an APC) and all the APC branded crap you
4 >> get in the stores are cheaper, inferior options. I found out the BX-prefixed
5 >> models don't even have proper AVR (they only correct when the voltage drops
6 >> below a certain point, they don't do anything in an overvoltage situation.
7 >> The BR-prefixed models are like the old UPS of lore, they offer true AVR for
8 >> both undervolt and overvolt situations, and the one I have even has an
9 >> option for an extra battery pack for extended runtime (BR1500G.)
10 >>
11 >> Basically anything in Best Buy, Staples, or similar stores is guaranteed to
12 >> have the consumer BX model junk.
13 >>
14 > This is my experience as well. I went with a Cyberpower CP1500PFC and
15 > have been very happy with it, and I think it falls into the
16 > better-quality level of stuff (though I'm sure the server-oriented
17 > stuff is better still if you're willing to pay).
18 >
19 > I have no idea how long the battery will last but when it dies I'll
20 > probably replace it.
21 >
22 > The stuff sold in stores tends to be junk.
25 I have a CyberPower as well.  Two actually.  One is old, 2003 old and
26 the other is a few years old, bought it a little while after building
27 this rig.  Before I bought, I went online and found pics of the insides
28 to see what was in them.  When I find one that has good reviews and some
29 good surge protection, that is the one I buy.  I have been known to take
30 the cover off to make sure mine has them too.  We do get surges and such
31 during storms.  While it is usually plugged into a surge strip already,
32 the more the better.  Actually, surge at the wall, UPS, then another
33 surge strip that all my stuff plugs into.  There isn't enough plugs on
34 the back of the UPS for everything anyway.
35
36 On my old UPS, I had to replace the battery a few months ago, second
37 time.  Both of them actually ripped apart.  They didn't explode or
38 anything but they did split apart badly.  If it had been a liquid
39 battery, it would have been nasty.  That said, they do last a long
40 time.  I get 7 to 8 years pretty easy from a set of batteries.  If that
41 little light comes on to check battery, check it.  It isn't kidding
42 around.  ;-)
43
44 Dale
45