From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: SSDs, VM SANs & RAID - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:27:23
1 On 2013-07-19 3:02 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I think you are. Unless you are moving massive terabytes of data
3 > across your drive on a constant basis I would not worry about regular
4 > everyday write activity being a problem.
5
6 I have a question regarding the use of SSDs in a VM SAN...
7
8 We are considering buying a lower-end SAN (two actually, one for each of
9 our locations), with lots of 2.5" bays, and using SSDs.
10
11 The two questions that come to mind are:
12
13 Is this a good use of SSDs? I honestly don't know if the running VMs
14 would benefit from the faster IO or not (I *think* the answer is a
15 resounding yes)?
16
17 Next is RAID...
18
19 I've avoided RAID5 (and RAID6) like the plague ever since I almost got
20 bit really badly by a multiple drive failure... luckily, the RAID5 had
21 just finished rebuilding successfully after the first drive failed,
22 before the second drive failed. I can't tell you how many years I aged
23 that day while it was rebuilding after replacing the second failed drive.
24
25 Ever since, I've always used RAID10.
26
27 So... with SSDs, I think another advantage would be much faster rebuilds
28 after a failed drive? So I could maybe start using RAID6 (would survive
29 two simultaneous disk failures), and not lose so much available storage
30 (50% with RAID10)?
31
32 Last... while researching this, I ran across a very interesting article
33 that I'd appreciate hearing opinions on.
34
35 "The Benefits of a Flash Only, SAN-less Virtual Architecture":
36
37 http://www.storage-switzerland.com/Articles/Entries/2012/9/20_The_Benefits_of_a_Flash_Only,_SAN-less_Virtual_Architecture.html
38
39 or
40
41 http://tinyurl.com/khwuspo
42
43 Anyway, I look forward to hearing thoughts on this...