From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-server
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:04:52
1 Mick wrote:
2 > Other than setting up udev rules I have tried everything that I could think
3 > of. Based on the experiments I ran on two laptops I have come to the
4 > following conclusions (or should this be "confusions"? ha, ha):
5 >
6 > Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
7 >
8 > is necessary under Section "ServerLayout" to allow legacy kbd and mouse
9 > drivers to load.
10 >
11 > Setting up a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf and then moving to 55-
12 > evdev.conf so that the 50-synaptics.conf is read first does not work.
13 > Somehow evdev permeates everything, creates multiple devices and hijacks the
14 > touchpad, keyboard, etc.
15 >
16 > Commenting out the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf lines for keyboard and
17 > touchpad also does not do the trick, because there is still the
18 > /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf which seems to be parsed regardless
19 > of a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf file being available.
20 >
21 > So, I removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf, commented out the keyboard
22 > and touchpad entries in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf and can now
23 > use my touchpad with horizontal/vertical scroll functions, acceleration, etc.
24 > based on settings I added in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50- as well as a
25 > multi-language keyboard.
26 >
27 > Personally, I can't see why all these additional config files and locations
28 > are required, rather than a single /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I have found all these
29 > back and forth changes to fdi's, xorg.conf.d and what have you, unnecessary
30 > and annoyingly time wasting.
31 >
32 > Of course I might have missed something simple in all this kerfuffle, so
33 > please chime in if there is a better way around this.
36 I just did a fresh install on my new rig. I also upgraded my old x86 to
37 the new xorg as well. Keep in mind that I have had hal disabled all
38 this time. I removed all the fdi files that hal needed a long time
39 ago. Everything works fine here on both rigs. I say all that to say
40 this, can you get the config files back to a point where it would be
41 like hal never existed at all? Maybe some config file is being read
42 that shouldn't be read at all?
43
44 Also, I generated my xorg.conf file with nvidia-xconfig. After I fixed
45 a kernel issue, it has worked fine ever since. I would be glad to send
46 it off list if needed. You may not want to use it but you may can
47 compare it to yours.
48
49 Is it possible you have to much in the way of config files?
50
51 Dale
52