From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dracut and how to specify names
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 07:27:34
1 John Covici wrote:
2 > On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 21:57:29 -0500,
3 > Dale wrote:
4 >> Howdy,
5 >>
6 >> I'm trying to rebuild a kernel to include new options, see other
7 >> thread.  I got the kernel built but dracut is giving me grief.  I hate
8 >> that thing and when a previous way that worked no longer works, it
9 >> doesn't help me like it any more.  Still, it is what it is even if I
10 >> don't like it.  I read the man page, the Gentoo wiki and tried different
11 >> methods but it just refuses to build a init thingy that I need.  It
12 >> either fails right away or gets to the end and errors out without
13 >> completing.
14 >>
15 >> I name my kernels and such this way:
16 >>
17 >> root@fireball /usr/src/linux # ls -al /boot/kernel*
18 >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7061552 Oct 14  2018 /boot/kernel-4.18.12-1
19 >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7082032 May 15  2019 /boot/kernel-4.19.40-1
20 >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7102512 Jan  2 19:46 /boot/kernel-4.19.40-2
21 >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5858496 Jun 17  2016 /boot/kernel-4.5.2-1
22 >> root@fireball /usr/src/linux #
23 >>
24 >> I copy the kernels from the /usr/src/linux directory by hand as I've
25 >> always done.  I name them starting with kernel and then add the kernel
26 >> version with a sequence number on the end.  In the past, I've made it to
27 >> -4 before getting what I need.  Right now, I'm working on 4.19.40-2 and
28 >> building a init thingy for it.  This is how the init thingys end up, in
29 >> the past anyway:
32 >> root@fireball /usr/src/linux # ls -al /boot/initramfs*
33 >> -rw------- 1 root root 7752134 Oct 15  2018 /boot/initramfs-4.18.12-1.img
34 >> -rw------- 1 root root 8560993 May 15  2019 /boot/initramfs-4.19.40-1.img
35 >> -rw------- 1 root root 5377395 May 20  2016 /boot/initramfs-4.5.2-1.img
36 >> root@fireball /usr/src/linux #
39 >> What I need, the proper command with options to tell dracut I want to
40 >> build a init thingy for 4.19.40-2.  I've tried many different ways but
41 >> none of them work.  This includes commands I've used in the past that
42 >> did work.  If I have to specify the init thingy name and the location of
43 >> the kernel modules directory, that's fine.  I keep commands like this in
44 >> a file to refer back to because I do tend to forget specifics but in
45 >> this case, it seems dracut changed something.  Previous commands are not
46 >> working.
47 >>
48 >> Does anyone know how to accomplish this task?  Hopefully something that
49 >> will work even if dracut changes something with its defaults.  I figure
50 >> if I tell it all it needs to know, then it should work even if dracut
51 >> changes the default method.  I just can't seem to figure out what method
52 >> to use here.  Maybe I'm missing a option or something.
53 >>
54 >> Thanks much.
55 > I think dracut uses the name of the /lib/modules directory, so just
56 > execute dracut "" <module directory name> such as in my case
57 > 4.19.85-gentoo . If that does not work post here, maybe you have
58 > spaces in your directory name, if so try using double quotes around
59 > it.
63 I decided to go back to a older version, just to see if it works.  The
64 first example I had saved didn't work but the second did.  First was
65 likely from a much older version of dracut.  Do you know what changed
66 between dracut-046-r1 and dracut-048-r1?  I ran into this once before
67 when a major version number changed.
68
69 One reason I'd like to be able to specify everything is to avoid changes
70 in future versions.  That way I can use the same command each time
71 unless they completely change everything which I'm sure I'd read about
72 long before I needed to use it.  Just has a example:
73
75
76 With that, it knows where the kernel is, what to name the init thingy
77 and where to find the kernel modules.  Thing is, I can't find a way to
78 do it that way with what I see in the man page or the wiki.  I even
79 looked on non-Gentoo sites and didn't find anything like this.
80
81 I did eventually help it find the modules.  Then it ran into another
82 issue that even google couldn't find.  I don't mean find a solution, it
83 couldn't find the problem either.  It returned zero, 0, results.  I was
84 floored.  It's rare to see google return a stupid look.  ROFL  I also
85 tried renaming the kernel to see if that would help.  No change.  I know
86 it is picky on names but one would think it would stay the same.
87 Finding something with kernel on the front shouldn't be to hard. ;-)
88
89 May have to just bang away until I get lucky then document the new way.
90 Whatever that way is.
91
92 Thanks.
93