From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] smartctl strangeness
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:59:26
1 Hi group,
2
3 A while ago my Maxtor 120G IDE HD started acting up,
4 smartctl wouldn't pass it and in dmesg were many
5 ominous dma_intr errors.
6
7 So from ebay I got a used Samsung 160g which I just
8 installed. I was hoping to transfer over my OS and
9 files etc to the "new" drive.
10
11 The drive is recognized in the BIOS on a venerable
12 PIII and assigned Ultra DMA mode 5. But I notice it is
13 recognized as having only 131G. Maybe that's
14 significant. IIRC the PC, a Dell, was put together in
15 01 and the Samsung HD is c. 2004. It's formatted
16 completely FAT32 and mounts OK.
17
18 Anyway, this is where things get even stranger. I've
19 quadruple-checked and I still don't believe it. The
20 Maxtor drive now PASSES smartctl -H and the "new" one
21 FAILS. The Maxtor still gets the dma_intr errors in
22 dmesg and the Samsung is said to have it's "DMA
23 disabled" which contradicts the BIOS, but no other
24 errors.
25
26 Can somebody make sense of this?
27
28 Maxim
29
31 Do You Yahoo!?
32 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
33 http://mail.yahoo.com
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list