From: Matt Causey <matt.causey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Removing Packages with Portage
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 09:45:03
1 Hello all!
2
3 I am a Gentoo n00b. I have question about what the 'expected
4 behaviour' is/should be when removing packages under Gentoo package
5 management. So I read this document:
6
7 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?style=printable&full=1#book_part2
8
9 And it says, to remove software, use 'emerge --unmerge'. Cool, yeah
10 that seems to do what I expect... So, I have a package madwifi-ng,
11 which contains some kernel modules. I want to emerge --unmerge that
12 package, because I want to make those drivers go away. That seems to
13 go well, as when I search for it in portage it show all non-installed
14 and stuff:
15
16 prometheus ~ # emerge --search madwifi-ng
17 Searching...
18 [ Results for search key : madwifi-ng ]
19 [ Applications found : 2 ]
20
21 * net-wireless/madwifi-ng
22 Latest version available: 0.9.4
23 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
24 Size of files: 3,403 kB
25 Homepage: http://www.madwifi-project.org/
27 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN cards
28 License: atheros-hal || ( BSD GPL-2 )
29
30 Buuut, there are still kernel modules there, which are owned by that package:
31
32 prometheus ~ # ls -lah /lib/modules/2.6.28-gentoo-r5/net/ath_pci.ko
33 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 77K May 3 20:43
34 /lib/modules/2.6.28-gentoo-r5/net/ath_pci.ko
35 prometheus ~ #
36
37 and of course they still load.
38
39 Sooo, my question. What is the expected behaviour here? Are the
40 ebuilds intended to maintain knowledge of the files they put on a
41 system, so they can remove the binaries when --unmerge'd? Are kernel
42 modules handled differently because of the possibility of damaging a
43 working system?
44
45 Thanks!
48 Matt