From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem trying to play sound when pulse audio is enabled
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:44:25
1 On 29/04/2013 11:20, Kevin Thompson wrote:
2 > I had the same issue here when installing pulseaudio. I don't use GNOME,
3 > so that does take part of the equation away. The problem was solved by
4 > changing permissions to /dev/snd and it's containing files. After
5 > chmodding /dev/snd/* to 666, I was able to play sounds as a normal user.
6 > In the Gentoo guide, it mentions this, and it also mentions taking your
7 > user out of the audio group if you're currently in it. Please see
8 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio#Root_can_play_sound.2C_other_users_cannot
9 > for more detailed information.
12 Why not rather configure udev to make /dev/snd 660, group owned by
13 audio, and all human users who need sound are in the audio group?
14
15 These 666/777 "solutions" are just bad
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com