From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Switching from Seamonkey to Firefox and Thunderbird
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 13:50:27
1 Howdy,
2
3 I have been using Seamonkey as my main web browser and email program for
4 many years.  Thing is, some sites either don't work right or won't load
5 at all.  Those same sites work fine in Firefox.  Just the other day,
6 LastPass started acting weird and I had to remove it.  My plan was to
7 remove it and then reinstall it, hopefully with a newer version or it
8 would fix some weird corruption problem.  Well, Seamonkey is no longer
9 supported.  It won't install at all now.
10
11 Given some of the problems, one recent and some long term, I'm thinking
12 of switching to Thunderbird and Firefox and removing Seamonkey
13 completely.  I'm not concerned with Firefox as my browser as I do use it
14 for certain things.  I know I can export and import my bookmarks and
15 such and it should be easy.  My concern is moving my emails from
16 Seamonkey to Thunderbird.  I have tens of thousands of emails going back
17 a looooong ways.  I've googled and haven't been able to find anything
18 recent that talks about doing this.  I suspect it will be easy, either a
19 export and import or just a hand copy from Seamonkey to Thunderbird.  It
20 may be that it would use the same directory Seamonkey uses and just
21 works.  That said, I'd like to see if anyone has done this in say the
22 past year or so since that should work the same, barring some huge
23 change I'm not aware of.
24
25 Has anyone moved from Seamonkey to Thunderbird recently?  Anyone know of
26 a howto that I missed?  Anyone know of a reason this just won't work?
27
28 Thanks much.
29
30 Dale