From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: disable Intel Mgr Engine
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 08:41:03
1 On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 22:30:17 BST james wrote:
2 > On 9/17/18 10:53 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2018-09-14, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 > >> On 9/13/18 7:52 PM, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
5 > >>> Actually, we now know what linux it runs and people are starting to
6 > >>> break it, at least as far as finding bugs.
7 > >>
8 > >> Do enlighten me; what linux (embedded) does ME run? any details are
9 > >> of interest to me.
10 > >
11 > > It doesn't run Linux. According to
12 > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine It runs Minix 3.
13 >
14 > Minix-3. Hmmmm. I like that fact, but I just to not have any
15 > extra_energy for another OS/rtos. Power-arch is not an option for me.
18 > So much good information, I am going to have to ponder a few deep
19 > choices on controlling the bios/firmware 100%. Perhaps arm64 embedded
20 > boards with at least (4) gig of ddr-4. Perhaps mobos where open user
21 > controllable firmware is available. AMD with PSP, looks as bad
22 > as Intel-ME?
23
24 Worse. As Taiidan mentioned without a me_cleaner equivalent there is
25 currently no known way of crippling AMD's PSP out of band controller.
28 > Perhaps old AMD systems, pre PSP, internet facing with a HPC cluster
29 > behind them, where resources are source via the HPC cluster, which
30 > actually fits in well with a HPC-Hybrid gentoo cluster approach.
33 > Since I have been work on my own HPC gentoo clusters, I'm more motivated
34 > to put something "I" control onto an arm64 variant, until RiscV matures
35 > or FPGA come way down in price. Perhaps a Front-end-core-system out of
36 > old discreet logic chips of yore? Or modern PLA/PLD boards, some of
37 > which are 3D-printable now ?
38 >
39 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V
40 >
41 > prayerfully in hope of a real, verifiable solution::
42 >
43 > James
47 Regards,
48 Mick