From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:26:54
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>>>> What do you guys think of this? Do you know of a good cruft removal script?
3 >>>>>
4 >>>>>
5 >>>> Yep, there's quite good one in gentoo itself.
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Basically, you'll need to write a short config for it, consisting of
8 >>>> lines like "cruft name", "cruft src uri" and a few more lines if you'll
9 >>>> need to pass some extra parameters to configure/make/install.
10 >>>> It'll build the package in a sandbox, then transfer it to destination,
11 >>>> memorizing every change it did and preventing collisions and config
12 >>>> overwrites.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Just put that config script into an ebuild file and use portage to
15 >>>> build it - as simple as it gets ;)
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>> I suppose you and Jesus are right, but what about cruft removal? Are
19 >>> you saying Gentoo is 100% cruft-free? I've got a lot of junk in /etc
20 >>> and especially ~/.*
21 >>>
22 >>> - Grant
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 > [snip]
28 >
29 >> You have to clean out /etc and home directories yourself.
32 > Exactly. Nothing to help me along? I'll check out qfile, but I'm
33 > surprised there isn't a good script for this.
34 >
35 > I'm the only one interested in a filesystem audit?
36 >
37 > - Grant
41 >> Portage does do a good job of removing all the other files tho. If it
42 >> puts it there, it will remove it if you unmerge a package.
43 >>
44 >> Dale
50 There is a script on the forums that is supposed to clean out /etc. I
51 am attaching a copy of it. I have no idea if it still works or if it
52 will completely destroy your system. I would search for the thread or
53 go through the script to make sure it doesn't mess up something.
54
55 I do wish there was a option for cleaning out /etc but then again, that
56 could be dangerous too.
57
58 Dale
59