From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] microcode applied?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 09:26:14
1 On 08/01/18 13:52, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > There is also a lot of discussion on lkml about the right fix. We
3 > might very well end up seeing both AMD- and Intel-specific fixes with
4 > conditional logic. The two vendors don't really seem to be
5 > coordinating on this. Intel is pushing patches that apparently don't
6 > work on AMD, or aren't necessary on AMD. AMD for its part hasn't been
7 > pushing much in public at all, but has made a few list posts, and they
8 > have that mystery microcode update.
9
10 Probably not much point co-operating. The *internals* of AMD chips and
11 Intel chips are very different. I suspect both of them have a RISC core
12 with an x86 instruction set interpretation layer, but that's where the
13 similarities end ...
14
15 Bit like expecting a turbo-prop engine company to co-ordinate their
16 designs with a piston engine company. The two engines might look very
17 similar on the outside, but the internal machinery bears no resemblance
18 whatsoever one to the other.
19
20 Cheers,
21 Wol