From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] btrfs (raid1) no interramfs
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 18:23:27
1 Hello,
4 Surely this booting (subject) can be done and has been done:: iff you
5 believe what has been posted. Here is one solution (patch) [1]
6 from an interesting discussion:: albeit dated. [2]
9 I think this subject is worth exploring because I do not believe
10 that these booting issues are all related to btrfs issues. I think
11 they are sometimes transient and are affected by other combinations of
12 hardware and kernel and file system configurations. Let's also face the fact
13 that the kernel codes are undergoing massive and frequent changes::
14 now we can " live patching the kernel code" so the need for more robust
15 tools and methods are warranted; even exasperated if you do not reboot a
16 given system frequently. [3]
19 Paul Tobias's recent post " Adding "rootdelay=30" to the kernel command
20 line" is but the latest example. Parsing out some of these threads
21 on gentoo user does suggest a general booting problem, exasperated by more
22 complex installations (not exclusively btrfs) and thus worth the focus
23 to nail down these issue and the potential work around(s); that they should
24 end up well documented and in the gentoo wiki, imho.
27 As I have mentioned in several threads, I think the available of
28 "netconsole" for fine grain debugging will be useful, as long as we
29 can find a way to setup the ethernet interface as quickly as possible
30 in the sequence of boot events or a way to buffer that boot info (in ram?)
31 and then transmitt it remotely as soon as possible for remote install
32 monitoring and debugging.
35 ALL thoughts and comments are most welcome,
36 James
39 [1] https://gist.github.com/the8lack8ox/2706705
40
41 [2] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7275724.html